As the summer of 2023 approaches, it’s time to remodel your kitchen and embrace the latest design trends. Whether you’re planning a complete kitchen remodel or just want to give your space a fresh update, incorporating the latest design trends can breathe new life into your culinary haven.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the hottest kitchen design trends that are set to dominate the summer of 2023. From colors and materials to layouts and appliances, let’s dive into the exciting world of kitchen design.
White Shaker Cabinets
White shaker cabinets have become a classic choice in kitchen design, and their timeless appeal continues to make them a popular option for homeowners. These cabinets combine simplicity, versatility, and elegance, making them suitable for various kitchen styles, from traditional to modern.
Let’s explore the reasons why white Shaker cabinets are a great choice for your kitchen.
White Shaker cabinets exude a timeless elegance that never goes out of style. The clean lines and minimalist design of Shaker cabinets originated in the 18th century and have remained popular throughout the years. The white color adds a sense of freshness and brightness to the kitchen, making it feel more open and inviting.
One of the key advantages of white Shaker cabinets is their versatility. They can be paired with a wide range of countertop materials, backsplash designs, and flooring options. Whether you prefer a sleek and contemporary look or a cozy and traditional ambiance, white Shaker cabinets can adapt to your desired style. They provide a neutral backdrop that allows you to experiment with various color schemes and design elements.
Light and Airy Feel
White Shaker cabinets have the power to make a small kitchen feel larger and more open. The light color reflects natural and artificial light, brightening up the space and giving it an airy feel. This can be especially beneficial for kitchens with limited natural light or those located in smaller homes or apartments.
White cabinets are often thought of as difficult to maintain, as they may show dirt or stains more easily. However, Shaker cabinets are known for their durability and easy maintenance. The solid wood construction and high-quality finishes make them resistant to wear and tear. Additionally, most white Shaker cabinets come with a protective coating that helps prevent staining and makes cleaning a breeze.
Complementing Design Elements
White Shaker cabinets serve as a blank canvas, allowing you to highlight other design elements in your kitchen. Whether you want to showcase a colorful backsplash, unique hardware, or a statement countertop, white cabinets provide a versatile backdrop that allows these elements to shine. They can effortlessly blend with any design scheme and create a cohesive and harmonious look.
Investing in white Shaker cabinets can also be a smart choice from a resale perspective. White kitchens have a broad appeal and are favored by many homebuyers. By opting for this classic and versatile cabinet style, you can enhance the overall value of your home and attract potential buyers in the future.
In an era of increased environmental awareness and a growing focus on sustainable living, incorporating eco-friendly materials into kitchen design has become a top priority for many homeowners. By choosing sustainable materials for your kitchen, you can not only reduce your environmental impact but also create a healthier and more conscious living space. Here are some sustainable materials to consider for your kitchen design:
- Plywood: Plywood is a versatile and sustainable material that can be used in various applications throughout your kitchen. It is made from thin layers of wood veneer that are glued together, creating a strong and durable sheet material.
- Bamboo: Bamboo is an excellent sustainable alternative to traditional hardwoods. It is a fast-growing grass that reaches maturity in just a few years, making it a highly renewable resource. Bamboo can be used for flooring, cabinets, and countertops, offering durability and a unique, natural look.
- Reclaimed Wood: Reclaimed wood is salvaged from old buildings, barns, or other sources, giving it a second life. Using reclaimed wood for flooring, countertops, or even as accents in your kitchen not only adds character and warmth but also reduces the demand for new timber and helps prevent deforestation.
- Recycled Glass: Recycled glass is an eco-friendly material that can be used for countertops, backsplashes, and even tiles. It is made from post-consumer or post-industrial glass that would otherwise end up in landfills. By choosing recycled glass, you can contribute to waste reduction and give your kitchen a beautiful and sustainable touch.
- Low-VOC Paint: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are chemicals found in many conventional paints that can have harmful effects on indoor air quality. Opting for low-VOC or zero-VOC paints when repainting your kitchen walls or cabinets can significantly improve indoor air quality and reduce your exposure to harmful toxins.
- Recycled Metal: Incorporating recycled metal in your kitchen design is another sustainable choice. Look for appliances, fixtures, or hardware made from recycled stainless steel or aluminum. These metals can be recycled repeatedly without losing their properties, making them an excellent option for environmentally conscious homeowners.
- Natural Stone: While natural stone can be a sustainable choice if sourced responsibly, it’s crucial to select stones that are ethically quarried and have a low environmental impact. Look for certifications like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or the GreenGuard certification to ensure that the stone meets sustainability criteria.
- Cork Flooring: Cork is an eco-friendly flooring option that comes from the bark of the cork oak tree. The bark is harvested without harming the tree, allowing it to regenerate. Cork flooring is durable, comfortable underfoot, and offers excellent sound absorption properties, making it an ideal choice for kitchen floors.
See how our designers can create your Dream Kitchen
Get a free 2D layout
Design & layout with as many revisions until it’s perfect!
High quality, realistic 3D rendering of project within 24 hours!
Quotes are detailed, transparent, and come with 15 day Price Gurantee!
Professional Grade Design
Professionalism and quality so good, 15,000+ families have said YES!
Vibrant Color Palettes
When it comes to kitchen design, color plays a crucial role in setting the mood and creating a visually appealing space. This summer, vibrant color palettes are taking center stage, injecting energy and personality into kitchen designs. Whether you want to make a bold statement or add pops of color as accents, here are some vibrant color palette ideas to consider for your kitchen (and they all match great with white shaker cabinets):
- Rich Blues: Shades of blue, from deep navy to vibrant turquoise, are making a splash in kitchen design this summer. Blue is known to evoke a sense of calmness and serenity while adding a touch of elegance. Consider incorporating blue hues in your kitchen through painted cabinets, backsplashes, or even appliances. Pair blue with crisp white or warm wood tones for a balanced and refreshing look.
- Lively Greens: Green is a color that symbolizes nature, freshness, and vitality. In summer 2023, embrace lively greens such as emerald, lime, or mint to infuse your kitchen with an invigorating ambiance. Green cabinets or accent walls can bring a burst of energy and a connection to the outdoors. Combine green with natural materials like wood and rattan for a harmonious and organic feel.
- Vibrant Yellows: Yellow is the epitome of sunshine and happiness, making it an ideal choice for a vibrant kitchen. Whether you opt for a soft buttery yellow or a bold lemon hue, yellow can instantly uplift the mood of your culinary space. Use yellow as an accent color through accessories, light fixtures, or even a vibrant backsplash to create a cheerful and inviting atmosphere.
- Fiery Reds and Oranges: For those who love a bold and fiery vibe in their kitchen, consider incorporating shades of red or orange. These warm and energetic colors can add a sense of warmth and spice to your culinary space. Whether you choose to go all out with red cabinets or use orange as an accent color, be mindful of balancing the intensity with neutral tones to avoid overwhelming the space.
- Colorful Tile Patterns: Another way to introduce vibrant colors into your kitchen is through colorful tile patterns. From geometric shapes to intricate mosaics, vibrant tiles can create a stunning focal point in your kitchen. Consider using colorful tiles for your backsplash, flooring, or even as a decorative element on your kitchen island. The combination of vibrant colors and unique patterns can add an artistic and playful touch to your kitchen design.
Open shelving has gained immense popularity in kitchen design, and it continues to be a prominent trend for the summer of 2023. Open shelves provide a sleek and modern alternative to traditional closed cabinets, offering both functionality and aesthetic appeal. By eliminating the barriers of cabinet doors, open shelving allows you to showcase your favorite dishware, glassware, and cookbooks, turning them into decorative elements in your kitchen. This design trend creates a sense of openness and airiness, making your kitchen feel more spacious and inviting. With open shelving, you can easily access frequently used items and add a touch of personalization to your culinary space through carefully curated displays.
When incorporating open shelving into your kitchen design, it’s crucial to strike a balance between functionality and aesthetics. Keep in mind that open shelves require proper organization and maintenance to keep them looking tidy and visually pleasing. Consider arranging items in an organized and visually appealing manner, grouping similar pieces together or arranging them by color for a cohesive look. Additionally, open shelving provides an opportunity to incorporate design elements such as decorative baskets, plants, or artwork to add depth and visual interest to your kitchen. With careful planning and styling, open shelving can elevate your kitchen design and transform it into a functional and stylish space that reflects your personal taste and lifestyle.
Statement lighting fixtures are set to be a prominent trend in kitchen design for the summer of 2023. These eye-catching and unique light fixtures not only provide functional illumination but also serve as striking focal points in your kitchen. Whether you opt for oversized pendant lights, geometric chandeliers, or sculptural fixtures, statement lighting adds a touch of elegance, personality, and visual interest to your culinary space. The right lighting can transform the ambiance of your kitchen, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere for cooking, dining, and entertaining.
When incorporating statement lighting into your kitchen design, consider the overall style and layout of the space. A large pendant light can make a bold statement above a kitchen island, while a cluster of smaller pendant lights can add drama and create a sense of intimacy over a dining area. Geometric chandeliers can bring a contemporary and artistic flair to your kitchen, while sculptural fixtures can add a touch of whimsy and creativity. It’s important to choose lighting fixtures that not only complement the style of your kitchen but also provide the right amount of illumination for different tasks. The right statement lighting can elevate your kitchen design, creating a visually stunning and well-lit space that becomes the centerpiece of your home.
DIY Kitchen Island
Building a DIY kitchen island using base ready-to-assemble (RTA) cabinets is a fantastic way to add functionality, storage, and style to your kitchen. Not only does it provide extra counter space for meal preparation and serving, but it also serves as a central gathering point for family and friends. Start by measuring the available space in your kitchen to determine the size of your island. Consider the dimensions of the base cabinets you’ll be using and ensure there’s enough room for comfortable movement around the island. Sketch out your design and decide on the placement of the cabinets, including any additional features like a breakfast bar or sink.
Select base RTA cabinets that suit your style and storage needs. Follow the assembly instructions provided with the RTA cabinets to put them together. Typically, this involves connecting the sides, back panel, and base with screws or cam locks. Ensure the cabinets are level and sturdy. Position the assembled base cabinets in the designated area and secure them together using screws or brackets. Use a level to ensure they’re properly aligned and adjust as needed. Attach the cabinets to the floor if desired, especially if you have a floating island.
Select a countertop material that suits your style and budget. Popular options include granite, quartz, wood, or laminate. Measure and cut the countertop to fit the dimensions of your island. Secure it to the base cabinets using adhesive and screws if necessary. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and use proper tools to cut and shape the countertop accurately.
Smart Appliances and Technology
The integration of smart appliances and technology in the kitchen has revolutionized the way we cook and manage our daily routines. Smart appliances offer advanced features, connectivity, and automation that enhance convenience, efficiency, and control. With features like built-in cameras in refrigerators, precise temperature control in ovens, and voice commands through virtual assistants, smart appliances streamline tasks and bring added efficiency to the kitchen.
Remote operation and monitoring through smartphone apps make it possible to control appliances from anywhere, while connectivity with virtual assistants enables hands-free control. Embracing smart appliances and technology in your kitchen enhances convenience, saves time, and elevates your cooking experience.
Back to Nature
The “back to nature” trend in kitchen design celebrates the beauty of organic elements, earthy tones, and sustainable materials, creating a harmonious and calming space. One of the key elements that can truly bring this trend to life is incorporating plants into your kitchen. Plants not only add a touch of natural beauty but also contribute to improved air quality and a sense of well-being.
Plants are a wonderful addition to the kitchen for several reasons. Firstly, they bring a touch of nature and visual beauty into the space, creating a soothing and inviting atmosphere. The presence of plants can create a sense of calm and relaxation, making your kitchen a more pleasant place to spend time in. Additionally, plants in the kitchen have practical benefits. They can help improve indoor air quality by filtering out toxins and releasing oxygen. This is particularly beneficial in a space where cooking activities may generate odors or fumes. Plants also add humidity to the air, which can be especially helpful in dry environments or during the winter months when heating systems can cause dryness.
Patio kitchens have become increasingly popular, providing an exciting way to extend your living and entertaining space outdoors. These outdoor cooking areas offer a unique and inviting atmosphere for preparing meals and enjoying the company of family and friends. With a patio kitchen, you can create a functional and stylish outdoor cooking space that combines the joys of grilling, dining, and relaxing in the open air.
One of the primary advantages of a patio kitchen is the ability to cook and entertain outdoors, taking advantage of pleasant weather and beautiful surroundings. Patio kitchens typically feature a built-in grill or outdoor kitchen island, providing a dedicated space for cooking and food preparation. This allows you to enjoy the outdoor environment while preparing delicious meals for your guests. Additionally, patio kitchens often include amenities such as countertops, sinks, refrigerators, and storage space, providing convenience and functionality similar to an indoor kitchen. This means you can have everything you need at hand without having to constantly run back and forth between indoor and outdoor spaces.
Furthermore, patio kitchens create a welcoming ambiance for socializing and gathering with loved ones. With comfortable seating areas, outdoor dining sets, and even outdoor fireplaces or fire pits, patio kitchens offer a perfect space for enjoying meals, conversations, and relaxation. Whether you’re hosting a casual backyard barbecue or an intimate dinner party, a well-designed patio kitchen can elevate your outdoor entertaining experience and create lasting memories for you and your guests. So, why limit your culinary adventures to the confines of your indoor kitchen when you can embrace the charm and freedom of a patio kitchen?
In conclusion, the kitchen design trends for summer 2023 offer a range of exciting possibilities to transform your culinary space into a stylish and functional oasis. From the timeless appeal of white shaker cabinets to the use of sustainable materials, vibrant color palettes, open shelving, statement lighting, smart appliances, and the back to nature trend, there are ample opportunities to customize your kitchen to your unique taste and lifestyle.
When embarking on a kitchen redesign, it’s important to consider your personal preferences, the functionality you desire, and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve. Whether you’re seeking a classic and elegant look or a modern and eco-friendly design, there are options to suit every style and budget.
If you’re ready to bring your dream kitchen to life, consider taking advantage of the free 3D kitchen design services offered by Nelson Cabinetry. Their expertise and cutting-edge technology can help you visualize your ideas and create a kitchen that combines beauty, functionality, and sustainability.
Nelson Cabinetry is an online distributor of high quality kitchen and bathroom cabinetry. We pride ourselves in delivering a high quality product via an easy to use, convenient website. Placing your cabinet order has never been easier and you can do so from the comfort of your home, office or job site.